Friday, August 3, 2007

Anticipating Winter

About this time every summer I start to feel the pangs of anticipation for my favorite time of year. One may think that August is a bit early to start yearning for snow but there is a lot to think about – and for the winter enthusiast that is part of the fun.

My ruminations regarding the coming season are usually triggered by a desire to escape from the often-oppressive summer heat. My minds eye finds me swooshing down a freshly powdered slope and sooner or later my more practical side wants to get into the game and I begin making mental notes about what my family and I will need for the coming season – this mental list of new fleeces and socks, sweaters and pants serves me well as a check list for the local pre season sale and our on line wish list.

I also start thinking about how we will juggle family obligations while I contemplate our weekend ski trips and mid winter getaway so we have a clear calendar and I can score great accommodations.

Ultimately, however, the most of my daydreaming is spent on how I am going to improve this year. I think about my pre season fitness plan and the new products that will make this year even better than the last.

The truth is that just THINKING about the season gives me a chill – and it is the best way to cool off on a hot summer day.

No comments: